Wednesday, March 25, 2009

That First Official Gig

I haven't posted in a while because, well, there hasn't been much going on. The calm after the storm, so to speak. Since getting my license, I can honestly say being an architect sucks in this economy (especially if you're on your own). It hasn't been for lack of trying. For three months, I've been running after projects that amount to a bunch of tire kickers or wackos, interviewing for what few full-time jobs are out there with people you normally would run away from, and feeling in general like Tommy Chong. What I did on my summer vacation. The first day of my summer vacation, I woke up. Then I went downtown to look for a job. Then I hung out in front of the drugstore. The second day of my summer vacation, I woke up. Then I went downtown to look for a job. Then I hung out in front of the drugstore. The third say of my summer vacation...

Until last week. I got my first official gig! Funny enough it was a neighborhood referral. I feel like Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz - it was all right here in my own backyard (with the proper setbacks, of course). It was AWESOME to deposit that retainer check, and feels even better to work. Nothing glamorous, a real meat and potatoes kind of project, but I am so thankful in this crappy economy to have it. Someone told me that glamour fades, it's getting the job that counts. So my faith has been restored, at least for now. Here's to getting more jobs!

3 comments:

architect54 said...

They don't know how that first gig went. Tho' it didn't go as well as you would have liked. The question is "Do you have a second gig?" and how is it going?

Justdrawinglines said...

Hey 54. I know this is waaaaayyyyy after the fact of your comment, but it's been a horrific year in terms of getting business. I figure if I can't say something positive, it's best not to say anything. The truth of the matter is I have only gotten a couple of little teeny projects after that initial one. Hell, I haven't even been able to get any drafting work through other architects. It sucks the big one out there. I'm regressing to a former life and doing transcription to make ends meet. There have been lots of tire kickers out there. Many proposals written. But no one seems to have the dough to actually follow through with their projects. All I can do is keep typing and hope things pick up after the new year. Hope you are well!

Sharcitect said...

JDL-
Sharcitect here. Sorry to hear it has been rough for you up there.
You and I went through the AREs at about the same time and I remember you were very helpful with insurance questions. I also seem to remember you mentioning that your husband is a construction attorney? I'm in NYC and I may be either opening my own firm (in a doomed economy) or becoming a partner with my current boss (in a venture that is currently losing money). Either way, I would love to get a consultation with a knowledgeable attorney whether it is your husband or someone he recommends before I 'launch'. Please let me know if you can help me out and good luck with the commissions. Where are you again? I know someone who needs some MINOR work in Rockland County...