Saturday, April 7, 2007

RYOR - When Too Much Information is a Bad Thing

Do a Google search on "architect registration examination," and you get 26,200 results in 0.12 seconds - as of today. Whew... Search within those results for "study" and it narrows it down to 12,500 possibilities. Now that's more manageable! Gee, I even found a blog written by some far right nutcase who thinks government spending could be reduced by getting rid of many (if not all) regulating boards. For whatever reason, and it is apparent that this individual is not an architect, he writes: "Can you imagine what life would be like without the Board of Architect Examiners? (est. 1918) Who would enforce the pointless regulations regarding building design?". Pointless regulations, huh? Hope he doesn't live an "unregulated" home in an area with a lot of seismic activity or hurricanes... But I'm off track.

Further refine the search with "study group" and it reduces it to 10,100. Get the picture? NCARB's site doesn't offer much practical advice. My state AIA site doesn't offer much practical advice. I managed to stumble upon the ARE Forum, which is the most helpful resource I've found to date. The forum is all about the the test taker and the site is structured around the 9 divisions of the ARE. When I began lurking on the ARE Forum, I do believe the clouds parted allowing a beam of white light to warm my brain (I swear I heard trumpets and a choir...). Wow, awesome, now THIS is what I'm talking about! I found a wealth of information that has helped me to decide which test to take first, study aids, used materials for sale, etc. But soon the dark clouds gathered overhead, and my head was spinning (help me, ma-mister wizard!). I was looking in the individual test division forums and the horror stories began. What do you mean M/E kicked your ass and was the hardest test you've taken?! Why, just a few posts ago I read that this was the easiest and most logical first test to take! And hey, you - structures was easy? Sure, I believe that. Doesn't the Easter Bunny come tonight?

What I've discovered is this: it's all a matter of opinion and personal experience. If I enter these forums, I need to go with a specific question. Ask or search for the question or answer, ignore the personal BS, get the answer, and get the hell OUT. Otherwise, it's too overwhelming and I start to second guess myself.

I once worked with someone (nice person, icky professional) who offered what I now realize is excellent advice:

Run Your Own Race

No comments: